Monday, May 3, 2010

My new hobby (obsession?)


Yes, I know.

Someone has too much time on their hands.


That's what you're thinking.


Perhaps you're right. Some of them are a bit bizarre.


But I love this one. LOVE. I want to marry it and have it's babies. It's my favorite, but Shhhh. Don't tell the other books. They'll feel bad.


This one is a Barbie book, for my friend who collects Barbies


Last year I saw an exhibit at a gallery in Bellevue of altered book art. I was instantly enthralled by the idea of taking old unwanted books and making them into something cool. Some of them were incredible, intricate, imaginative. I wanted to come home and start mutilating books, but it wasn't until a few days ago when I was looking online and found a site selling similar things to the first photo here... for $50!!! that I really became motivated to give it a try. There are lots of different versions of this kind of thing available, but I haven't seen anything like my favorite. No one seems to be using much color.

3 comments:

  1. Really? I can't decide if I'm a huge geek and these aren't as cool as I think they are and all my family are just humoring me, or if they really are totally cool. I trust your artistic eye, and I know you'd tell me the truth :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS, I like how you can see my toes in the bottom right hand side of the second photo :D

    ReplyDelete