Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Happiness



A friend of mine randomly said to me today, "I think we all want to be happy forever". I had to think about that. Do I want to be happy forever? What does that even mean? The first disturbing conclusion I came to is that I don't trust happiness. If I'm happy it's because I'm missing something, blissfully ignorant of some truth that will mitigate the happiness with pain. When I'm happy I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop. Also, if I'm happy it's because I'm not paying attention, not looking at the people around me. Think of Haiti. How can I or should I be happy when there is so much suffering in the world? As for being happy forever, I don't think that's actually part of the grand design. If happiness was all there was, it would cease to have value. Happiness is only good compared to misery. Unmitigated happiness would be dull, and frankly unproductive. There must be opposition in all things. In order to appreciate the joy we must feel the misery. People often say happiness is a choice. If that's so then I choose occasional happiness mingled with productive trials. It actually makes me happier realizing that I don't want continual happiness. It makes me feel like I'm doing something right by having a marginal day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment