Friday, September 25, 2009

The Voldemort Tree

This tree grows in front of my house, next to the carport. It's the first thing people see when they arrive at the house.



Notice anything odd about it? I call it the Voldermort tree because it has another being growing out the back of it's head. For years it was just a normal Alberta pine, but about a year ago I noticed that some of the branches had mutated. It took me awhile to realize that it was a whole other tree growing out the top of the alberta pine. (I looked under it's skirt :o The trunk goes all the way to the ground.) How it got there I don't know. I couldn't believe a fir had been able to survive long enough without light, growing inside the thick foliage of the original tree, to finally break through the top. I know I need to do something about it, and the longer I leave it the worse it will be for the two trees. I don't think both can survive, and I don't really like either of my options. I can cut down the alberta pine and leave the bare trunk of the new pine with it's weird spray of branches at the top, or I can cut down the interloper and leave a huge hole in the side of the alberta. Firstly, I don't kill things. I don't kill mosquitoes or houseflies or spiders. I take them outside. If I kill something there has to be a good reason, so I don't like the idea of sawing off a healthy tree for the sake of aesthetics. Secodly, it seems as though one would want to reward such perserverance. It seems a shame to kill something that has fought so hard to live. Which is why now instead of a few mutant looking branches, I have an entire extra tree. Sigh.

2 comments:

  1. WWVD!!! What would Voldermort do? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. He would destroy both trees in a fit of pique. Or force them both to do his evil bidding.

    ReplyDelete